General Course Information
CALED is partnering with the California Academy for Economic Development, the California State University, Fresno, the Division of Continuing and Global Education, and the University Business Center, to bring you the Introduction to Economic Development Certificate Program. This certificate program is designed as an introductory course for people who are interested in knowing more about how local economic development works, as well as for those people whose responsibilities include economic development assignments.
Four days of everything you ever wanted to know about economic development. This is an in-depth, interactive opportunity to discuss all aspects of economic development, including strategies, marketing, financing, incentives, business retention, business recruitment and resources. Attendees will get the opportunity to receive a professional certificate of completion in local economic development.
The course instructors and presenters are practicing professionals in local and state economic development who bring a great mix of knowledge and practical experience to the course insuring a large dose of real world examples. This is the only course of its kind offered in California and is your once-a-year opportunity to learn more about economic development.
In order to receive full IEDC certification credit for this course and a certificate indicating course completion, participants must attend the entire course and stay through the final session on the last day. Please make travel plans accordingly.
Course Topics Include:
- How to market your community
- Developing an economic development strategy
- Basic and advanced financing techniques
- Pros and Cons of using incentives
- Business retention, expansion and creation techniques
- Community assessment and planning
- Marketing & Attraction
- Entrepreneurship & Small Business Strategies
Who Should Attend:
- Candidates for IEDC certification
- Professionals new to the field of economic development
- Anyone who wants to learn the basics of economic development
- Practicing ED professionals who want a refresher course on the basics